Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Hello, I am an Unemployed Millionaire

dawn, daybreak, sun, hope, inspiration
I cannot say the change occurred overnight. But slowly and surely I began to pull myself out of the depths of despair. I began to notice and appreciate the little things in life again like wanting to get out of bed in the morning, or how green the grass was. When you are severely depressed - the world really does seem like shades of gray, devoid of color and light, and sounds. As the days turned into months, I began laugh again and enjoy the love and support of those around me.

After my "stay" in hospital, I put my belongings in storage and commenced the life of a nomad - staying with various good friends and focusing on getting better. I still didn't know where my life was headed, but now at least I wanted to find out. It was in this state of mind that I was wondering through Barnes and Nobles (I think it's an addiction) and came across a book entitled The Unemployed Millionaire by Matt Morris. Three little words. The total summation of where I WAS and where I wanted to BE. I snatched it off the shelf and was soon engrossed in a story that reflected my own.

I bought the book and then raced back to the room my 7-year old godson was sharing with me. I'd read for hours, highlighting and making notes in the margins, marveling at this young entrepreneur's insight and tenacity. It started me down the road to a radical change in my thinking and my belief in myself. What was I capable of? Could I really live the life I'd LOVE to live? Could I really create the type of wealth that would change the course of my family's "bust-your-butt-for-someone-else-middle-class-struggle" forever?

Matt spends a good portion of the book addressing this issue. You have to say you are doing it before you actually do it. It took me nearly a year to rewire my thinking. To say I am instead of I hope I will be. It was like learning a whole new vocabulary. Woulda's, coulda's, shoulda's -  BANISHED!! The idea, that one must tell one's self that one is already what one aspires to be, was used quite successfully by someone everyone knows the world over: boxer extraordinaire Muhammad Ali. "I am the greatest!" he declared over and over. He never said, "I will be the greatest" or "I'm working on being the greatest" (besides, it doesn't quite have the same ring to it). It was always "I am the greatest."

If you take nothing else away from this post, I hope you take these inspiring words with you. Your dreams don't have to be just dreams and you can change the trajectory of your life. You are the greatest and you are making it happen!


Post note: Mr. Ali was our country town's claim to fame. He lived in my neighborhood when I was a child and became acquainted with my cousin and his family who lived right next door to us. I can still remember riding my little bike down the road to his farm - hoping for a glimpse of him. :-)



blog, subscribe, email

Click Here!


No comments:

Post a Comment